By Rudolf Pell Gaudio
- The first ethnographic research of sexual minorities in Africa, and considered one of only a few works on sexual minorities within the Islamic world
- Engagingly written, combining leading edge, ethnographic narrative with analyses of sociolinguistic transcripts, ancient texts, and well known media, together with video, movie, newspapers, and song-poetry
- Analyzes the social reviews and expressive tradition of ‘yan daudu (feminine males in Nigerian Hausaland) when it comes to neighborhood, nationwide, and worldwide debates over gender and sexuality on the flip of the twenty-first century
- Winner of the 2009 Ruth Benedict Prize within the type of "Outstanding Monograph"
Read or Download Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (New Directions in Ethnography) PDF
Best psychology of sexuality books
American citizens have lengthy adored romantic pictures of the frontier and its colourful forged of characters, the place the cowboys are continuously rugged and the women regularly fragile. yet during this e-book, Peter Boag opens a unprecedented window onto the genuine previous West. Delving into numerous fundamental assets and surveying sexological and literary assets, Boag paints a brilliant photo of a West the place cross-dressing—for either males and women—was pervasive, and the place easterners in addition to Mexicans or even Indians may perhaps redefine their gender and sexual identities.
A provocative background that unearths how intercourse employees were on the forefront of social justice routine for the prior fifty years whereas construction a move in their personal that demanding situations our principles approximately hard work, sexuality, feminism, and freedom Fifty nations deal with intercourse paintings as a sound task, and it's been legalized (with regulations) in 11 others.
Nations during this sector were relatively constrained (for an exception to this, see Petmesidou & Papatheodorou, 2006). The underlying assumption during this quantity is that regardless of the variety of welfare states bordering the Mediterranean Sea, a few fascinating commonalities are shared by way of those countries.
Shifts in societal improvement as a result of fiscal and technological developments have had an impression upon the advance of human sexuality and behavior, and with the growth of advancements corresponding to the web and linked applied sciences, it truly is most likely that extra societal shifts will occur.
- Amor. Un sentimiento desordenado (El Ojo del Tiempo) (Spanish Edition)
- Prostitution, Race and Politics: Policing Venereal Disease in the British Empire
- New Sociologies of Sex Work
- Marxism and 20th-Century English-Canadian Novels: A New Approach to Social Realism
- Prescription for Heterosexuality: Sexual Citizenship in the Cold War Era
Extra info for Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (New Directions in Ethnography)